Tuesday, July 19

traveling alone

One of my greatest dreams since I was a kid is to travel around the world. See all the wonderful things a country has to offer-their rich history, people, art, culture and way of life, architecture-and "experience" them. To experience a place is the best way for me not to forget it. Yes, pictures will help, and of course a video, but nothing beats "the experience".


BUT aside from financial constraints, I have one small problem: Fear. I'm afraid of traveling alone. I don't want to travel alone.


I was never the adventurous, never the excited one in trying something new. I feared the possibility of doing something wrong, of being lost, of being unsure. I don't want to do the traveling alone.


I have observed that for me to be confident in going somewhere (read not to be PRANING along the way):
1. I must have gone to that place at least twice.

2. I must have a very reliable map (detailed with landmarks and instructions about the right transportation plus fare) and have asked a minimum of three people re the correctness of the map and my understanding of the instructions.

3. I must not be alone.
Please note that the constraints above are not mutually exclusive (independent), more often than not, they intersect in the Venn Diagram. :)


*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*


I realize I can't avoid traveling alone. There will always be errands that I must accomplish, responsibilities I must face, choices I need to make, opportunities I must take, and journeys I have to undertake, alone. I might not be able to encounter them the same way twice… most probably, there won't be accurate maps to help me, and only a few dependable gurus to show me the way. But what's comforting is the fact that DEFINITELY, I WON'T BE ALONE IN THE JOURNEY.

2 comments:

sillyserious said...

one day, Fair Star... one day your restlessness will finally overpower your fear :) oh the places you'll see. send me postcards, will ya?

gludsie said...

elow, te gen! little by little, im attempting to be "adventurous" hehe :) di ko pa nakaka-chat ever si palot! hay...

kyaleks, as useless. u never fail to encourage me. postcards lang pala eh! why nats? ;)