Thursday, April 12

Buhay Pamilya


I don't want to be melancholic or something, but as I'm writing this, I have no idea how it will go. I'll just let my thoughts run, ideas and reminiscences come as they want, if they want to.. Well, at least you have an idea of how random or sabog my mind is when it comes to things especially family life.

*****

I don't know if it's just because I was able to spend time at home, in Pampanga, last Holy Week or something else but I believe God is cooking something for me. He's been allowing lots of things to come along my way, to break me and remold me. Family matters, et cetera.

*****

There's this blood pressure raising episode that happened between my youngest bro, Manny Boy, and my mom. I don't want to wash dirty linens in public so I'll skip the kwento. But in this eksena, it dawned on me that we, as a family, are in a way "responsible" for the way he turned out to be: a spoiled brat.

He's the most malambing of us siblings, most charming, and he has a way of being swabe in different situations. He's the bunso, and that's enough reason why there was an extra something for him when he was growing up. Extra-patience, extra-kindness, extra-provision, extra stuff. And now that he's 23, with a terrible temper, I was almost ready to give up on the hope that he will soon change and grow up.

*****

(Do I sound jealous? I’d like to think not, for I understand the situation well. But I must admit that there was a time when I wished I made more mistakes, learned from MY OWN mistakes and experiences, rather than learn from others’.)

*****

But Mom is firm. When she says NO to his requests, she stands by this decision. However, when Manny Boy pleads with Dad, it's a different story. Does this mean that in my family, the females are more stringent? Hmmm... I wonder... But I concluded that Dad loves my bro so much that he wants to give him every thing he can. You see, he understands what my bro is going through for he's been there, done that. And he's a living proof of God's grace that changes life and lifestyle. And that GOD Who did something wonderful to my Dad, is the same God that has the power to work in my brother. And I will remain hopeful. Praying and waiting for that day to come.

*****

Disappointed with Dad. Because he’s kunsintidor. But do I blame him? No. I understand him. (This is the first time, I think, that I saw a significant flaw on him. I have always looked up to my Dad…and I still do…) And there’s no room for pointing fingers. We all have our faults.

*****

And then there’s Arvin. The most tipid of the magkakapatid. He has a car na, partially paid by the parents. And I think he deserves it. He knows how to take care of stuff and save for things he wants to acquire. He’s hardworking, and responsible.

Hmmm… are you waiting for the “but”? Let me just say that he’s a work in progress. I can sense that the Lord is doing something in his life right now. And I’m excited to see how he will turn out to be a couple of years from now…

*****

And me as the sister? Well, I was the nagging sister! Feeling powerful, and authoritative. Always ready to point out mistakes, and ready to provide “the best” solutions and instructions to the siblings. I never thought that during those years, I was the kontra-bida to them…It just felt good to be always right. BUT well, we grow up, realize our mistakes, and try to be better people. Uhumm… emphasis on TRY.

*****

Hay. I should post a picture. (searching… searching…)

I can’t find one. Oh well…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice how you gave us a glimpse of your family and yet protected them at the same time...love runs deep in you...:}

gludsie said...

kuya ruben,

lahat naman ata tayo, mahal ang pamilya. :D feeling ko nga di ko dapat kinwento yung iba eh. ehehe ;)

Anonymous said...

something's cooking :) im praying God will surprise u and ur family with something "more than u can ask or imagine."

deep breathely ;)